I Believe In God, But Do I Believe Him?

Hebrews 3:12 Beware Brother, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of UNBELIEF in departing from the Living God.

I know a great Man of God, he is a Pastor, I preach at his church every year. He told me that one day he was asked by a friend, “Ron, what are you believing God for?” Ron replied, “to finish the auditorium, so that the kids will have a place to come and gather and enjoy themselves!” A short time later a check for a hundred thousand dollars came in the mail, to pay for the work on the auditorium.

And so, I ask you, “What are you believing God for?” At this very moment, what are you standing in faith for?” Is it financial security, the salvation of your family, healing, peace, maybe a college education or restoration of your marriage? Are you fighting depression or rejection? What exactly do you need to believe God for?

As we grow in our walk with the LORD, we must grow in faith. It seems as time ticks by, some of us grow weaker rather then stronger in what God has said concerning His great and precious promises!

I know I am guilty at times of unbelief. I know that there are times that without warning I have wondered into depending on my own ability and my own strength in a matter that should be in the hands of the Living God. .

I came from a sordid and evil background. Before I met Jesus Christ I was doomed. Literally doomed! When Jesus saved my soul, miraculously, I might add. I had to learn to totally trust Him in everything, my life, my health, my future, everything! At first it was easy, because I was a babe in Christ and believing HIM came easy. I felt His Great Sacred Holy Spirit inside of me and I knew that He was there, there was no doubt, no unbelief………..I knew that I knew that I was in the palm of Jesus Christ’s blood stained hand, bought and paid for. I firmly believed that no one or nothing could snatch me out.

When things were good, I trusted Him. When things were not so good, I trusted Him. The Word was a light to my path, a lamp unto my feet. I knew those promises were yes and yes. Believing was as simple as breathing. I watched God move in every area and I remained patient when I had to wait to see Him come through. I knew beyond a shadow of doubt He would come through. My faith was the sail that steered the ship. And no matter how great the storm, I always made it to shore safe, one way or another.

Some of the test and trials were hard and took lots of standing on the Word of God. And there were times things did not turn out the way I wanted them to, but always for my own good. I smile as I think about the trials that came down to the midnight hour. Five minutes before midnight, still I waited. One second before midnight, my faith strong and secure, then as the second hand moved methodically to the last second, my precious Lord would (in all His wonder and faithfulness), come through! Naturally……..no supernaturally!

My faith that God Is, my love for Jesus never diminished. Sadly though, I found myself working things out myself. Trusting my ability to make it happen and seeing things slowly lose His presence and power in my life. Rather then wait on the Lord; I made rash decisions that cost me. I clearly remember on one occasion, the Holy Spirit saying to me, “Remember, this was your idea, not Mine!” And seven years later, I would hear that ringing in my ears.

I love the Word and I know it is the truth, universal truth, there is no other! Period, paragraph! I am sure you feel the same. But lets be honest, as I am trying to be. There comes a time when we may lose interest in reading and studying and leaning on the Word of God. It isn’t something we plan or do deliberately, many of us have read the bible through more then we can count. I know that I have. And though we can quote it, as many can, we don’t really believe that the Word has the power to do all that it promises. Maybe we have lost patience in the promises because we have had to pray to long or trust too much. Whatever!

In the letter written to the Hebrews, the writer reminds the Christian Jews of their forefather’s wonderings in the wilderness, he tells them of Jehovah’s faithfulness with signs and wonders. When Egypt perused them to destroy them, Jehovah covered them with the waters of the Red Sea. When they got into a dry and waterless land, He provided water from a Rock and Bread from heaven. When they murmured for lack of meat, He sent fowl to eat. Over and over they were exposed to His great love and supernatural power and ability on their behalf. For some time they were grateful and fearful of His Greatness. But as time passed, they forgot and became dependent on themselves.

It wasn’t the heat that took down those that fell in the wilderness. It wasn’t for lack of nourishment, or the wild beasts that roamed the arid places. No, it was their unbelief that killed them.

“They will not enter into my rest, because of unbelief!” The unrest that you may be experiencing is brought on by your unbelief. People contact me and say, “I have sinned against the Lord, how can He ever forgive me, I am certainly doomed to hell!” My dear one, you are not doomed because of your sin, it is your unbelief.

The bible clearly states, “Without faith, yes faith! It is impossible to please God. Not good works, not a big ministry, not a visit to the homeless. All of that is noble and kind, but without faith, it is impossible to please Him.

Some time back I had a great vision in the middle of the night. The Lord woke me and showed me what was to come in the future, concerning me. It all seemed so surreal at the time. But I knew, it was the Lord. Some years later, exactly what the Lord showed me came to pass. Yet, I had not seen the finish of the vision. You know why? I did not apply faith to it and continue to believe. I just let it go and waited for God to do more. He was willing, but I had to mingle the promise with faith. I failed to do that. The Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and revealed to me that I did not walk in faith concerning that vision and promise and I had hindered it myself.

“ He who comes to God must believe that He is and He rewards those who diligently seek Him!” Seek Him how, by abiding in Him and His Word abiding in us. The word abides means to tarry or remain., stay there no matter what, no matter what comes to thwart the promise of His everlasting Word. Never let the Word leave your hearts or lips without combining it with faith!!!.

Let me ask you again dear one, “What are you believing God for?” Are you proclaiming His Word and standing? Is the Name above all names on your lips coupled with faith and secure in His ability to bring you through whatever this world throws at you? And when you have done everything to stand, are you still standing? Or are we as the ones in the wilderness, who tested and tried Him and grieved the Holy One with unbelief. Can he say of you, “You always go astray in your heart!

Sweet Merciful Jesus, teach us to see the various times that you brought us through. The times when it looked like there was no way out, and you made one. The times of famine in our mouths and hearts and you fed us the fresh manna from heaven, you freely gave your Body and Blood for our salvation. Remind us of the miracle of redemption, the presence of your Holy Spirit. Keep us ever mindful of your great and precious promises and that we are in your care. Storm or calm seas, you are with us and will never forsake us. Teach us Holy Spirit to believe and never give our hearts to unbelief, that great sin of apostasy from the truth.

1 comment:

Linda said...

CAROL THANK YOU FOR YOUR SWEET HEART I SAW YOU ON CTN TELETHON LAST NIGHT AND WAS SO MINISTERED TO BY YOUR TESTIMONY. GOD IS JUST NOW BRINGING ME BACK FROM MY UNBELIEF STORY AND I WITNESS WITH ALL YOU SAID ABOUT UNBELIEF. I HAVE BEEN SAVED FOR 23 YEARS AND IT HAPPENED TO ME JUST AS YOU SAID. I GOT INTO UNBELIEF FROM A SITUATION AND IT HAS TAKEN THE LORD FOUR YEARS TO GET ME BACK WHERE I NEED TO BE. KEEP TELLING THE TRUTH IT WILL SET ALL OF US FREE. YOU ARE PRECIOUS.......LINDA